The Nice Girl Syndrome: Stop Being Manipulated and Abused and Start Standing Up for Yourself - Beverly Engel Before reading this I knew I was nice but not that I had the nice girl syndrome...which according to this book I have quite a severe version of. Once I was diagnosed it was time to learn how to do something about it. I could relate to a very large proportion of this book, however, as extreme niceness is a massive part of my personality I thought there's no way I could change it. I discovered it's not to change a person from being nice it's to give a nice girl some backbone... something that I don't have. I found myself nodding in agreement to a lot of points made in this book. Although in places it seemed quite patronizing, I thought that it was somewhat necessary for it to be blunt, not sunshine and rainbows, we are told from the start...being too nice? Yup, that's a problem! which, unfortunately, is true in society today, you will get treated like a doormat. If you think you may need to give your inner nice girl that kick up the backside she needs in order to have your opinion valued once in while....pick up this book.